Cultural reservation of Bobrova raľa

It is the largest preserved complex of authentic folk architecture in Central Europe. It consists of 64 last century wooden houses. They are cabins with shingle roofs. The Museum of Orava has its exposition in one of them. This exposition represents an authentic family house with stables in Podbiel. There is also possibility of accommodation in some of the houses. This locality was acclaimed a cultural reservation in 1977.

Hviezdoslav gamekeeper’s lodge

This exposition represents one of the best known works of P. O. Hviezdoslav (a lyric-epical poem “Gamekeeper’s wife”) and it is situated in the authentic natural surroundings. While P. O. Hviezdoslav had worked in the region of the Upper Orava, he created works concerning conflicts of two worlds: wooden shacks standing against manor houses; truth, poverty standing against injustice of lords. The whole exposition, together with gamekeeper’s lodge is situated in the middle of this region’s beautiful surroundings.

Ironworks of František (Františkova huta)

It belongs to technical and architectural landmarks. During 1836 – 1862, the blastfurnace manufactured iron ore from Roháče Mountains. Today it is destination of short trips and place of cultural activities and concerts. Each year on the last Saturday of August, mining of iron ore by authentic technology takes place here.

Museum of Orava village (open-air museum)

The museum is situated right under the steep slopes of Roháče Mountains, just 3 km from village Zuberec. The museum is situated in the middle of a mountain scenery created by the peaks of Pálenica, Sivý vrch (Grey hill) and Brestová hills in the south, by the peak of Osobitá hill in the east and massif called Mních (Monk) in the west. The 20 ha open-air museum was built on the banks of Studený potok (Cold creek). This village represents the collection of characteristic folk buildings from particular regions of Orava.

Orava castle

It is a dominant of the region Orava. It belongs to the most interesting and picturesque objects in Slovakia. It was built in 13th century and it rises above the river Orava from 112m high rocks. It is a national cultural landmark. Interior of the castle represents Gothic, Renaissance and Romanticism periods. It is also place of the Museum of Orava‘s exposition.

Slanica’s Island of the Arts

The island is located in the middle of Orava Reservoir surrounded by romantic scenery. Lasting exposition of folk art called “Slovak traditional folk plastic art and painting” is located inside the authentic Baroque chapel. The exposition also comprises lapidary of stone plastic art called “Orava’s creations made of stone”. Both expositions were opened to public between years 1971 – 1973. There are also polychrome and stone plastic arts from 18th – 20th centuries exhibited here together with exhibition of the history of flooded villages.

Wooden Roman Catholic Church

The oldest preserved building in the Upper Orava dated to the second half of 15th century. This wooden Gothic church in Tvrdošín was awarded plaquette of Europe Nostra. The church was enlisted into European cultural heritage of UNESCO as the national cultural landmark.

back to previous page   print version
ONLINE REZERVÁCIA LETENIEK
Miesto odletu:
Miesto príletu:
Datum odletu: (DD.MM.RRRR) hviezda logo
Datum návratu: (DD.MM.RRRR)
Poskytovatelom rezervačného systému leteniek je www.hviezda.sk